Saturday, May 22, 2010

Look Into My Eyes

The Leopard showed up at the Museum of Modern Art last week to catch up on what's new and happening, but it ended up feeling more like a wedding: Something old, something new, something borrowed; something blue.
I was prompted to drop by because of the ads I'd seen circulating around the city advertising a major exhibit of the photography of the great Henri Cartier-Bresson.  On my way to that exhibit though, there was a also a sizable show of Picasso lithographs & etchings which I hungrily devoured.
In stark contrast to that exhibit was the performance artist Marina Abramovic. You may have heard about her. She's the one who sits motionless in silence swathed in some kind of cloak sitting in a chair at the center of a large room. There's another chair facing hers, and visitors are invited to sit opposite the artist. The purpose, one presumes, is to make some kind of connection.
This is Ms. Abramovic's art.

The Leopard, as always, had his handy-dandy sketch book at the ready. I quickly scrawled a sketch of this striking-looking woman. I would have liked to have participated in the performance, but apparently folks have to wait as long as a full day to get face to face with this controversial artist.

Some people, I guess, have real time to burn.

No comments: