Monday, May 10, 2010

Black clad childhood hero

The Leopard has always loved Batman. The first drawings I ever did were of him.  There was something about him,  mysterious and wonderful. Even in the silly TV show from the 6o's he had this quality. It's that shiny black cape, the dark scowl, the mask.

One of the fondest memories I have are when I was about 8 or 9 years old taking the Staten Island Ferry with my father. In the ferry station, they would have these enormous newsstands, and there was always a Superman or Batman comic book or two. I'd always pick Batman, of course. For some reason his image always appealed to me. I related to him somehow. Maybe it was his outsider status. I just thought there was just something beautiful about him.

It's still with me, even to this day.

No comments: