Monday, December 30, 2019

Tricky

“I'D BEEN CHASING TRICKY FOR a number of weeks, diving down into the low bars of Bristol. "He don't live here no more," I'd be told. "He went to America". I wasn't going to buy that. He'd been spied by the Magpie girl only last Thursday, slipping in and out of the shadows down by the quay, drawing black lines on his own posters drenched in salty-sea splash, grinning synergy and singing swatches of malodorous song. The dark wisps of rumor trailed him like tow-ropes and now I was reeling him in.” - DAVID BOWIE.
Reading the new Tricky autobiography Hell Is Around the The Corner. Adrian Thaws is one of those artists whom I’ve been a loyal fan of for many years. I discovered him in ‘96 - two years after his first album Maxinquaye, which I think is a masterpiece. I have bought every recording he’s dropped since - sight (and sound) unseen. Just found out David Bowie was a huge fan and once wrote a mad article about him for Q magazine.

No comments: