Sunday, January 22, 2017

King Krule

Everyone once in a while The Leopard stumbles on a new musical artist who offers special promise and excitement, the kind I remember when I heard when I first listened to, say, Lou Reed, Neil Young or  PJ Harvey. An artist who has an original insight or sound and has a special way of communicating complex emotions with ease and cool.

For me lately that has been the English singer/songwriter King Krule. improbably blessed with the face of an a "Happy Days" era Ron Howard  and the voice that has the cigarette-stained heft of a man who's seen and knows too much, this 22-year old's music has seeped into my brain in a way I haven't felt since I was a cub.

From Wikipedia:
"Archy Marshall (born 24 August 1994), more commonly known by his stage name King Krule, is an English singer - songwriter, producer and musician. After a hectic and troubled childhood, he began recording music in 2010 under the moniker "Zoo Kid". The following year he adopted the name "King Krule". He has released several EPs, and his debut full-length album, 6 Feet Beneath the Moon, came out in 2013 to positive reviews. His music is difficult to classify, with elements of various genres like punk jazzhip hopdarkwave, and trip hop."

Song: "Neptune Estate"

No comments: