Thursday, September 10, 2009

Oh, how I love my new record playa


The Leopard was not particularly excited about growing one year older on my recent birthday, until I received a wonderful gift -- a brand spanking new turntable. I haven't owned one of these babies since the 80's. It's one of those newfangled joints that also hook up to your computer so you can transfer that good, warm sound straight into an mp3, complete with scratches and skips if you want (and you can download software if you don't).

The first week I got the thing, I went nuts and bought a shitload of old records from ebay and local vinyl record stores. It was fun. They were mostly some of my favorite jazz lps and the odd Joni Mitchell record.

There's something truly marvelous about seeing that big black disc twirl around. One of the true joys is hearing it end and start clicking once the needle hits the label. It means side one is over, time to turn the record over.
Man, that takes me back.

No comments: